The arrival of colder weather means homeowners will begin using their fireplaces for the first time in several months. However, firefighting experts say now is the time for homeowners to ensure fireplaces are safe and ready to be used. Before lighting a log or gas fireplace, they should be cleaned and inspected by a specialist. Opening the chimney’s flue is another early step. This will ensure the fireplace vents properly. Only dry wood should be used in a fireplace. Wet wood increases the building of creosote and increases the chances of a chimney fire. Homeowners should also use a fireplace screen to prevent sparks or hot embers from escaping to nearby carpet or furniture. Homeowners should also keep a fire extinguisher near the fireplace in case of emergencies and never leave a burning fireplace unattended. | Read More