According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, there are a number of toxins that potential home-buyers should be aware of, including carbon monoxide, lead, radon, and mold. First, all home-buyers should look for homes with carbon monoxide and smoke detectors or purchase them when moving in. They should also be aware of appliances that could be a source of carbon monoxide and obtain a history of these appliances as well as the home’s heating system. For homes built before 1978, lead paint may be a potential hazard. Home-buyers considering these homes should look for paint chips or flaking paint, particularly on windowsills and doorways. Lead tests, which can be purchased at a home improvement store, can also be used to test for lead hazards in the home and the surrounding soil. Regardless of home age, mold can be a dangerous toxin, but it can be protected by looking for plumbing problems, water stains, or high humidity. At the same time, homes should be examined for pipes and holes in walls. If signs are found, integrated pest-management techniques should be used to rid the home, beginning with non-chemical methods. The final potential toxin that can be a hazard is radon. Homebuyers can ensure this hazard is found by contacting a health department for a list of qualified professionals. | Read More